Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program: VPRI Undergraduate Fellowship
Application Deadline: 4/10 | Fellows Notified: Mid-May
The Vice President for Research and Innovation (VPRI) Undergraduate Fellowship awards fellowships to students who conduct research, creative scholarship or complete work on an innovative project full-time during the summer. These fellowships are open to all UO undergraduate students who meet the eligibility criteria.
The fellowship provides $5,000 during the summer. The award will be received in two installments, at the end of week 5 and at the end of week 10.
Questions? | Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking to apply? | Find application instructions on the VPRI Undergraduate Fellowship webpage!
- Projects may come from any discipline.
- Applicant must have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Applicant must obtain a commitment from a faculty member to supervise their research project as their mentor. Faculty mentors must be Tenure Track Faculty or Career Non-tenure Track Faculty with an FTE of .50 or above. Please verify with your faculty mentor that they meet these criteria.
- Research with Human Subjects:
- If applicable, the applicant must obtain approval from the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects (CPHS), which serves as the UO’s Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- If your project requires IRB approval you will need to submit your project for review before completing an application. You do not need full approval at the time you submit your application, however, you must have your project submitted for review.
- If you are selected to receive a fellowship, your award will be put on hold until UROP receives notification from you that your project has received IRB approval.
- If your project already has IRB approval please send your protocol number to email@example.com at the time you apply. For more information visit http://rcs.uoregon.edu/content/research-involving-human-subjects.
- Undergraduate students may not be paid to conduct research through other internal UO research support programs during the same fellowship period. Students may, however, accept an external award for the same academic year as the VPRI Undergraduate Fellowship award.
- If for any reason a research fellow’s circumstances change (e.g., due to exit from the University, loss of full-time student status, or the receipt of any grant or award that conflicts with the conditions of this fellowship) and the grantee is unable to use the award during the summer for which it was granted, the fellowship must be forfeited. VRPI Undergraduate Fellowship awards cannot be deferred.
- Undergraduate students may only receive one VPRI Undergraduate Fellowship award during their undergraduate education.
- Commit regular effort to conducting research during the fellowship period.
- If research is on-campus, fellows are expected to attend bi-weekly “lab” meetings during the fellowship period. If research is being conducted off-campus, fellows are expected to participate in bi-weekly “lab” meetings via Skype (or other online platform) if feasible.
- Complete a final research paper.
- Share the results of your research at the UO Undergraduate Symposium.
- Acknowledge the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI) in all work resulting from research during the fellowship period.
- Notify the VPRI Fellowship staff immediately of other support or of any conflicts with the eligibility and/or restrictions of this fellowship.
- Notify the Undergraduate Reserach Opportunity Program of any publications or conference presentations that are associated with your research project.