PS Majors: Pick Your Career Path!
Picturing a career in Law – Global Affairs – Business – Government – Activism ?
The PS Major offers paths that connect to your career goals!
The “prezi” presentation above shows you an overview of how six career paths lead you through the program, from introductory to advanced courses and career objectives.
The links below lead you through each path and its related courses. And remember: these paths are road maps, not requirements—you can always go “off road” and define your own path.
Career Path Certificate of Completion
PS Majors may be awarded up to two Career Path Certificates of Completion. We recommend that students mention these certificates of completion on their resume to communicate expertise and career objectives to future employers and graduate schools.
- To receive one Career Path Certificate of Completion a PS major must:
- Complete the Gateway course and 4 upper division courses from the path
- To receive two Career Path Certificates of Completion a PS major must:
- Complete the Gateway course and 4 upper division courses from each of the two Career Paths
- A student may complete ONE upper division course that appears on both lists, such that there are four upper division courses from each path and there are at least seven unique upper division courses. In other words, there may be one “double-dip”.
- Courses must be taken for letter grade and passed with C- or better. Career Path course lists can be found on the career path webpages linked above. Students can also reference the Career Paths Course Guide for a list of all regularized political science courses.
- Students must submit a Career Path Certificate of Completion Application during their term of graduation by Friday of week 10. The department will review coursework and send email confirmation to applicants within four weeks after the term of graduation. Certificates of Completion will not be awarded without submission of the application.
The student degree guide will track Career Path coursework in a section following the Political Science degree requirements. Once a Career Path gateway course has been taken, the degree guide will list upper division courses for that career path. We hope this will assist students in course selection.
If a student finishes coursework for one path, the degree guide will list that path as complete. If a student has completed coursework for two paths, the degree guide will perform an “overlap check” and select the first two paths in which coursework have been completed. These two Career Paths will be listed on the degree guide. However, students can choose to complete coursework in ANY two career paths that they wish. The department will review coursework based on the student’s selections on the Career Path Certificate of Completion Application.
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career Path Certificates are available to graduating students beginning Fall 2018.Career Paths are not indicated on diplomas or transcripts. Career Paths are optional and are not required for PS majors. The department does not provide replacements or reprints of certificates.